Sunday, March 08, 2009

Bach Cello Concertos by Yo-Yo Ma


On February 26 I had the great fortune to attend a solo cello performance by the master Yo-Yo-Ma at Merrill Auditorium, presented by the Portland Concert Association's Great Performances series. The program was Suite No. 1 in G Major, Suite No. 5 in C Minor and Suite No. 3 in C Major, three cello concertos by J.S. Bach. Yo-Yo Ma slipped in a couple of surprises, including Mark O'Connor's "Appalachian Waltz" and "Partita for Solo Cello" by the late Turkish composer Ahmed Adnan Saygun. Some audience members expressed their disappointment that he had changed the program in reviews and blogs after the concert. I didn't at all mind his innovative, eclectic selections and admire a master who can spontaneously add some surprises to a rigid program.

The cello is my favorite instrument and to hear this musical prodigy perform solo pieces was an absolute dream come true. It was a transportive, otherworldly spiritual experience for me and I was enraptured by every single note which opened up entire worlds through the intricate and difficult passages of Bach's complex landscapes.

I had purchased tickets last fall when I first heard about the concert, and they were expensive for my budget, but the experience was priceless. An added bonus was experiencing Ma's friendly, down-to-earth rappor with the audience.

For the encore he played a mysterious and haunting piece by Ennio Morricone, from the soundtrack to The Mission. I didn't recognize this piece and was surprised and amused to hear what it was.

All in all, this concert was a once in a lifetime experience for me. I can only hope I get to hear him play live again someday.

I would love to hear the upcoming Toumani Diabaté and the Symmetric Orchestra in May.

No comments: